Rapid Entry Key Lock Box
Building RequirementsThe Title 7, Chapter 6 of the Springfield Municipal Code (PDF) requires that the following structures or properties must be equipped with a rapid entry key lock box system at an accessible location near the main entrance of the structure or property or at such other location approved by the Springfield Fire Department:
- All new commercial and industrial buildings.
- All new commercial and industrial buildings protected by an automatic alarm system or automatic suppression system, or such buildings that are secured in a manner that restricts access during an emergency.
- New multi-family residential dwellings that have restricted access through locked doors and have a common corridor for access to the living units or mechanical rooms.
- Any new building that the Springfield Fire Department determines lack of access may result in loss of life or extensive property or environmental damage, based on factors including, but not limited to, fire load, occupant load, exposures, building construction, or storage or handling of hazardous materials.
- New residential complexes where it is determined that lack of access may result in the loss of life or extensive property damage based on factors including, but not limited to, occupant load and building construction.
- All new properties having security gates or devices which limit access to the building or property.
Necessary ElementsAll rapid entry key lock boxes shall contain the following:
- Labeled keys for locked points of ingress or egress, whether on the interior or exterior of such building or property.
- Labeled keys to all fire alarm panels.
- Labeled keys to elevator rooms and controls.
- Labeled keys to all locked electrical or mechanical equipment rooms.
- Other labeled keys as may be required by the Springfield Fire Department.
- Emergency contact information for the building in the event of an emergency.
- Install a rapid entry key lock box system;\.
- Provide the proper keys to the Springfield Fire Department for the required access.
- Notify the Springfield Fire Department when the locks or keys have been changed.
- Keep the immediate area of the rapid entry key lock box free and clear of any and all obstructions.