If you smell a faint odor of natural gas inside your home or business:
- Investigate immediately.
- If the source of the odor cannot be located or corrected, call the Springfield Gas Department immediately, they are available 24 hours a day. A representative will come to your home or business and make an inspection at no charge to you.
If a strong or persistent odor of natural gas is present in your home or business, or if you hear a hissing sound of escaping natural gas, follow this procedure:
- Get everyone out of the building immediately.
- Leave the door open.
- Use a neighbor's phone or cellular phone outside of the building to call the Springfield Gas Department at 615-382-1621 or after hours at 615-384-0008.
- Do not operate any electrical switches, appliance controls, or pull any plugs from outlets.
- Do not use the telephone in the building.
- If possible, ventilate the building by opening doors and windows at top and bottom by starting where the odor is strongest. Do not re-enter the building for this purpose.